Saturday, June 25, 2016

Mutton Bustin'

May 20, 2016
Last year when we went to the Redding Rodeo I said that, "I wanted to mutton bust".  Unfortunately I was too young by a couple of weeks, so, my mom and dad said, "they would sign me up next year".  When the rodeo was coming to town they asked me, "if I still wanted to try it" and I was very excited to do it.  Mom submitted my name to see if I would be drawn and I was chosen as one of the lucky kids.  When we first got to the rodeo we had to check in and get our helmets and vests.  I am all ready to go!
I was one lucky girl and had quite the fan club to come out and cheer me on!  They were such troupers to watch me since it had been raining most of the day and then right when we got there it opened up again and dumped on us.  We were all soaked and cold with in the first 10 minutes. 
Luckily the rain stopped and the show went on!
The beautiful thing that came with all the rain was a double rainbow!  We always love to see rainbows to remind us of all God's promises!
I am one soaked, but happy rodeo goer!
The mutton bustin' doesn't start until about 2/3 of the way through the rodeo, so, I got to hang out and watch the rodeo before I went down to meet my sheep!
You get to choose one adult to go with you and I wanted Daddy to take me down.
I ended up getting really really wet.  Kind Great Uncle Jeff (who came to cheer McKenzie on) gave me his jacket and then he went and got another one that he had in the car.  All the spare clothes that we brought were just as wet as we were.  
Then I huddled up with Great Uncle Jeff to try to get warm.
We had a great time together watching the rodeo!
It was finally time to head out to mutton bust.  We are all lined up and waiting to be called out!  I am very excited!
Great Uncle Jeff and I went over to say hi to McKenzie and cheer her on!
Any minute now we will head out into the arena.
We headed out to the arena which was one big mud pit.
I waited with Dad until it was my turn to get on the sheep and try to ride him as long as possible.
So mom tried to get a good video of me, but her hands were shaking from being cold and wet and by the time they mutton busted it was dark.  Here is the video edited the best she could and then put into slow motion so you can try to see my very quick ride.
Here is the edited video, but in real time.  I was off pretty quickly, but hey I got on the sheep and tried my best!
When I was all done we had to hang out a little bit longer until every one went.
Then they brought us all out and lined us up and gave us all belt buckles and crowned the winner, which was a little boy.
Then we headed out of the arena and back to our seats.
Still smiling even after I got bucked off!  
While we waited for McKenzie to come back Mrs. Jana and I had a great time together.  I sat with her and ate her popcorn.  Like 
I said it was great time!
McKenzie came back and she was one muddy mess from mutton bustin'
A picture with the mutton buster!
One with her number and belt buckle.
Then one of the family!
She was pretty excited about riding that sheep.  On the way home we asked her "if she would do it again" and she said "probably not because it hurt her hands when she fell".  It was also late, cold, and she was tired on the way home.  In the morning after warming up and getting a good night sleep we asked her "if she would do it again?"  She said, "yes, but not today."  Now is you ask her if she would want to do it again she says yes!  What a brave and adventurous little girl she is.
Nothing screams adventure more than ending up caked in mud.

No comments:

Post a Comment