Sunday, January 22, 2017

High Desert Museum

December 26, 2017
This morning we were so excited to get to take a bath and try out our new robes that Uncle Jeff and Aunt Susan got us for Christmas. 
We had fun hanging out in them and playing with our new Paw Patrol toys that we got.  The robes sure are warm and comfy.
Awhile back while we were at storytime and they told us that you can check out a pass to the High Desert Museum which is just south of Bend.  They made the place sound so much fun that we kept mentioning it. This Wednesday while we were at storytime with Dad he asked if it was available to check out and it was,  
We figured today would be a good day to go and check out the museum, since, Dad had the day off and it would be something fun to do with Grammy, Granpy, and Aunt Helen while they were here.  We had a indoor picnic when we got there.  It was way to cold and there was too much snow to have a picnic outside.
We went to check out the reptile exhibit and hear a talk about reptiles, but they had to cancel the show because they were too busy feeding and keeping the reptiles warm in the cold weather. 
We headed into a natural animal habitat play area!
I pretended to be a beaver in the beaver dam.  
We had fun sliding like otters down the slide.  The otters life sure is fun!
Wow!  Those otters side fast!
We had a great view from the huge eagles nest.
I had fun checking out the beaver dam.
We crawled in and out of the rocks like the reptiles do.  
I climbed up on a rock to sun myself to keep me warm!  We sure had fun playing in the different animals habitats.
There was an otter feeding that we really wanted to see, so, we headed outside to find the otters.  On the way we passed by this sheepherders wagon.  Sure glad that we don't live in one of those!  Brrrrrrrrrr!
We bundled up because it was sure cold outside today and headed down to the otters.  When they told us about the pass at the library,  they told us we could see otters playing.  That is all I talked about, so, we figured we would tough out the cold and go watch those cute animals. 
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!  I hope these otters are as cute as they sound!
The otters were out and very active.  They knew that it was time to eat soon, so, they were waiting around for the food.
It was fun to watch the otters from up top.  You could see them well.
Hey look this otter is talking to me!  I think he is wondering if I have his food?
It sure was fun to get to see the otters.  They were quite playful.
They would stand up and look around.  This otter is thinking you guys don't have my food where is the lady who feeds me?
A lady came out and fed the otters and talked about them.  She told us these are river otters which can be seen around here.  Aunt Helen lifted me up to see the otters being fed.  
Then I got on Daddy's shoulders.  I really could see everything from up there.
It was a great spot.
I had a blast up there.
I even did a little song and dance.
And some posing.
The otters are all done eating.  It think it is time to head back in to the warm buildings.
Grammy and I stopped to take some pictures in this winter wonderland.  Here is mom taking a picture of us.
Here is the picture that Grammy was taking of me!
Then I had a great time talking Grammy's ear off as we headed back to the building.
We decided to go and see the birds of prey part of the museum, so, on the way we stopped to get a picture with Grammy and Granpy.  
We found out which bird of prey our wing span matched their wing span.  Mine was about the same as a Gyrfalcon.
I was getting close the having the same wing span as a turkey vulture.  
They were going to do a bird of prey talk in a little bit, so, we had some time to fill.  We headed back out into the cold to see the homestead that they have there.
This was the chicken coop.
The cellar which they used to keep things cold.  I wonder why they needed this?  
A little homestead cabin.
The frozen over pond where the frogs live when they are not hibernating.
We were so lucky that they chose a great horned owl to bring out and show us.  Isn't he scary and creepy (oh I mean beautiful).
Here I am listening to the talk on the great horned owl.
Then we were even luckier and at the end got to go up and see the owl up close.  Of course we wanted to.  Why wouldn't any one want to see an owl up close?
We headed back over to the main museum to check out some of the exhibits.  They had a really cool one that took you through different times in Oregon history.  They also had one on the saw tooth shark and one with some Ansel Adams paintings that was on loan from Turtle Bay.  Here they encouraged you to take out your cell phone and take a picture with it in black and white just like Ansel Adams.  Well mom just used her camera just like Ansel Adams would have.  Crazy mom.  Here is one in color.
Then one in black and white just like Ansel Adams pictures.  Okay nothing like his pictures since he was an amazing photographer.  It was sure fun to get to see some of his work.  We had a blast at the High Desert Museum today.  What a fun place to go and visit!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment