July 23, 2016
Today we headed out to the coast along the Lewis and Clark trail. We found their end destination. It was a lot easier for us then for them, since, we had cars and signs that told us the way! When we got there we went to alive demonstration and talk about the importance of the musket.
Then we headed in to see Fort Clatsop and how the expedition lived through the winter.
They had bunk beds to sleep on in the rooms. We got to try them out.
I wanted to try out the top bunk. I have been obsessed with bunk beds and wanting some since the house we are buying had them in some of the rooms. Mom and Dad keep try to explain to me that they do not come with the house.
I tried the top bunk too! We managed to be safe getting up and down and not falling off!
In one of the rooms they had a volunteer showing people how they used to write with ink and a feather.
We picked a feather that had been cut and sharpened into a point. Then we dipped it into the ink well.
It was a lot harder to write with a feather than a pencil, but I managed to write my name
I gave it a try! I mainly did some scribbling, but Grammy helped me write my name.
You had to keep dipping your feather in the ink, because, it would run out of ink quickly.
It was nice to have Daddy help me!
When we entered the museum they had a junior ranger table set up, so, we got our junior ranger Fort Clatsop book to work on while we were there. I found this stump and sat down to working on getting mine done
We headed down the trail and found the kitchen. Mom was glad that this isn't her kitchen!
This contraption was a clamp. You would push it with our feet to hold the log in place so you could work on it.
I wanted to give it a try too! It would have been a little easier to use if I had longer legs.
This is the outside of Fort Clastop. It wasn't too big, but when you consider that they built it by hand it is quite impressive.
We finished out junior ranger books and took them to the ranger. We said the junior ranger oath and we are now official junior rangers.
We got a badge for completing the book.
We also got a button to go with our badge. It is was good day at Fort Clatsop. We got a new national park stamp in our book, plus became junior rangers!
After we left Fort Clatsop we headed to Fort Stevens to play at the beach for a little bit. We had fun finding sea shells. Daddy even found a whole sand dollar.
I had fun playing in the sand and building sand castles.
Daddy helped me to fly my kite! I hadn't had a chance to fly my kite that I got for my birthday yet and the beach is a great place to get to fly it.
Look at how high we got the kite.
We had a blast running along the beach flying the kite
Mom tried to get a picture of us with Grammy and Granpy on the beach, but Makayla just did not want to look.
Nothing like laying down on the sand and flying a kite.
I wanted a turn at flying McKenzie's kite, so, Daddy helped me out.
I did it! I flew the kite.
I was even able to fly the kite while siting down.
A family picture at the beach.
We had a big hike up the sand dune to get to our car. It isn't a good start when you fall down before you even start to climb.
Here I go up the hill! I am going to make it to the top.
I took a slower and more steady approach to climbing the sand dune. We sure had fun at the beach today!
We headed into Astoria for dinner. As we waited for our seats we found this cut out!
I am not sure what I am supposed to be.
Look at the family in Astoria Oregon.



No comments:
Post a Comment