Monday, July 6, 2015

Releasing butterflies at Turtle Bay!

June 2, 2015
When mom was at Turtle Bay with Makayla last Thursday, she asked about when a good day would be to come and get to release a butterfly!  The people told her to try Tuesday!  We headed over to see if we would get lucky and get to release a butterfly into the butterfly pavilion.  As we walked in, Mom saw a worker releasing one, so, we quickly walked over and asked if there were any more.  The lady checked and there happened to be two monarch butterflies that were ready to be released!  Talk about perfect timing!  Here she is getting the first butterfly!
I got to release a butterfly last year and thought it was so neat that I kept asking about doing it again this year!  Here I am walking my stick with my butterfly over to the bush!
I stopped to pose for a minute for a quick photo with my butterfly!
You have to walk very carefully over to the bush, so, you don't disturb the butterfly.  I did a great job of being cautious and careful!
Here I am putting him on the bush!
When you release a butterfly you get to name them and they keep track of all the butterflies that have been named!  Mine was a boy this year, so, I named him Collin after my good little buddy!  Isn't he a handsome monarch butterfly!
Mom tried to get a picture with me and butterfly Collin on the push, but it didn't turn out so well, since, you can't see the butterfly.  Oh well!
Next up Makayla got to do hers!  We weren't to sure if Makayla was going to be brave enough to actually release one!
I decided that I wanted to!  Mom tried to get a picture of me with the butterfly, but I was so focused on the butterfly on the end of my stick that I wouldn't look up at her!
The seriousness of my face is just priceless.  I really wanted the butterfly to make it safely to the bush, plus I really didn't not want to fly onto me!
Here I am putting the butterfly on the bush by McKenzie's butterfly!
It took it a minute to want to get off the stick and onto the leaf.  It really wanted to stay on my stick!
We put my butterfly by McKenzie's butterfly, so, they could be buddies!
My butterfly was also a boy, so, I named him Gussy after my fried Gus!
After we released our butterflies, we looked around trying to identify other types of butterflies!
This beautiful butterfly is a Pipevine Swallowtail.  It is one of the very few butterflies that is actually poisonous from the type of plants they eat!
This is a Buckeye butterfly!
This is a Julia Butterfly!
McKenzie really did have fun pointing out different butterflies and then finding the on the page to see what type they were.  The other cool thing we got to see while we were in there was about 10 or so butterflies hatch from their chrysalises!  It was cool to see them come out and then pump up their wings, so that, they would grow to the right size!  It was sure a fun and educational day in the butterfly garden!
After the butterfly garden, we headed outside to play on the playground!
There we both are peeking out!
My little poser!

No comments:

Post a Comment